Charles Max Wood
Special Guests: Jarno Lindqvist
In this episode of Elixir Mix, the panel talks to Jarno Lindqvist about GDPR. Jarno is works for SAS institutes in the Finland office working mostly on data management, technical architecture, and GDPR regulation. They talk about what GDPR is, what developers need to understand about it, and the type of data that must comply with GDPR regulations. They also touch on data security and protection, the right to be forgotten, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Jarno intro
- Developers are concerned about GDPR
- Developers don’t have to completely understand it
- Data governance and data management
- Are there things that as software developers we need to understand?
- GDPR basic education
- Everyone behaving under the same laws
- What kind of data are we talking about with GDPR?
- Personal data definition
- Broad definition of what kind of data falls under “personal data”
- Regulations came into effect in May 2018 officially
- What are we talking about with “protecting data”?
- Data security
- Taking precautions about how you keep your data
- Keeping track of who you’ve displayed your data to
- The purpose behind collecting your data
- The right to be forgotten
- Do US companies have to only comply with this when it comes to EU data?
- What about EU citizens living abroad?
- Does GDPR apply to both electronic and physical files?
- What measures have you seen companies take to comply with GDPR?
- GAP analyses
- And much, much more!