EMx 084: Beyond LiveView with Sophie DeBenedetto
In this episode of Elixir Mix the panel interviews Sophie DeBenedetto. Sophie spoke at both The Big Elixir and ElixirConf 2019 about LiveView. She also works at Flatiron School. Sophie starts by sharing a little about Flatiron School, what they offer and what she does for them. The panel shares their experience with the quality of graduates from Flatiron School. Sophie explains that Flatiron School is all about community and they teach their students to love learning.
Sophie discusses her talks and shares the experiences she had with LiveView that inspired her talks. She tells the panel what it was like preparing for the talks. She explains the problems she faced with her LiveView project and how she eventually fixed it.
In one talk Sophie talks about looking under the hood at LiveView. She tells the panel about this experience, this leads the panel to discuss the LiveView documentation. They consider the helpfulness of the phrase “it’s a process” in the documentation. Sophie explains how she prefers documentation to be more clear and more expansive. The panel considers the importance of expounding in the documentation as most Elixir users are new to the language. The panel discusses when the best time to learn OTP is for a developer new to Elixir.
The panel discusses Sophie’s blog post about her work in LiveView. They discuss some of their work in LiveView as well. The panel goes over some of the features they have tried in their projects and the ones they look forward to trying. Sophie ends the episode by comparing LiveView to her previous coding experiences, she describes it as a breath of fresh air.
- Mark Ericksen
- Josh Adams
- Michael Ries
- Sophie DeBenedetto
Sentry– use the code “devchat” for two months free on Sentry’s small plan
"The MaxCoders Guide to Finding Your Dream Developer Job" by Charles Max Wood is now available on Amazon. Get Your Copy Today!
- The Big Elixir 2019 - Beyond Liveview: Real Time Features With Liveview - Sophie DeBenedetto
- ElixirConf 2019 - Beyond LiveView: Building Real-Time... - Sophie DeBenedetto
- The Big Elixir
- Erlang distribution over TLS
- Erlang (and Elixir) distribution without epmd
- Building a Table Sort UI with Live View's `live_link`
- Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix
- Building beautiful systems with Phoenix contexts... by Andrew Hao
- That Sugar Film
- US Legal system and jury selection
- Mix And Hex The Power Couple Of The Elixir Community - Todd Resudek
- Rebuilding Espec: Foundations In Metaprogramming, - Bruce Park