In this episode of the Freelancer’s Show, Reuven, Jonathan, and Kai discuss “Why” conversations. Jonathan outlines that, “Why” calls are the preliminary conversations of a sale call. To understand the underlying purpose of why the client wants to engage in a project with you. This is a great episode to understand how to pivot a project to increase the value of your time using a fixed rated. Also to ensure the prospect is a good fit for skills and rates.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Why do sales call? To find out what the client needs
- “Preparing to reject their self-diagnosis”
- Engage in a conversation to increase the value of the project
- The customer is usually vague and they leave out the specifics fo the project
- Throwing objections at then customers to bring all considerations to surface
- Understanding why now?
- Urgency is the key to the project?
- Why hire someone like me?
- Confidence to get paid what you want
- Hourly rates? Market rate? Fixed pricing.
- Is hourly billing bad for the project?
- Newbies are quick to jump.
- Delivering ROI.
- Back Seat Driving to nowhere
- Predict Churn
- Constantly reminding them of the goal and be the guardian of the project
- What is the benefit of the project?
- Make it clear you don’t work for an hourly rate
- Productize service, value-based pricing, etc.
- Making assumptions?
- Who does this not work for? - Those who are still learning their craft.
- And much more!