iPS 269: Ray Tracing with Petrie Michael
- Sentry– use the code "devchat" for two months free on Sentry's small plan
- GitLab | Get 30% off tickets with the promo code: DEVCHATCOMMIT
- My Ruby Story
- Jaim Zuber
- Abbey Jackson
Joined by Special Guest: Petrie Michael
Joining the iPhreaks show is our new panelist Abbey Jackson, an iOS developer from Vancouver, Canada and our special guest Petrie Michael, an iOS developer from Australia currently working in Japan. Petrie has joined the podcast today to discuss his recent talk at TrySwift about Ray tracing. After defining ray tracing and explaining how it works, Petrie walks the panel through his demonstration for his talk. The panel discusses the technology he uses and how a bigger project becomes much more complex using a Mercedes rendering he did. Petrie introduces binary space partitioning and how this speeds up the process. The panel asks Petrie for recommendations for beginners to graphics, how to get started and what language to use.
Petrie shares his opinions on the state of the industry. The first being that modern programmers try to solve problems that don’t exist. The second being that programmers are neglecting to focus on things that encourage productivity. The panel discusses examples of these and how we can improve.
- Ray Tracing in One Weekend
- Graphics like Pixar using Swift
- Binary space partitioning
- iPS 258: Learning Objective-C as a Swift Developer with Abbey Jackson