Panel: Charles Max Wood
Guest: Justin Gordon
This week on My Ruby Story, Charles talks to Justin Gordon. Justin first got introduced to programming when he was a kid playing video games and in Jr. High when he took some Basic programming classes. By the time he was in High School, he was learning Pascal. He has always been interested in pursuing programming except for a small time in college when he thought he wanted to pursue investment banking. He first got into Ruby when he went to a meetup and found a startup who were using Ruby on Rails. They also talk about working remotely as well as ShakaCode.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- How did you first get into programming?
- Basic and Pascal
- Fell out of programming in college
- 4th dimension
- Never took an official computer class after High School until after college
- Studied Applied Math at Harvard
- Harvard taught him the skills he never learned as a child
- What was is that made you come back to programming?
- Getting a Mac got him back into programming
- Have to love programming to want to do it for the rest of your life
- How did you find Ruby?
- Rails was more intuitive
- Rails is what brought him into the community
- Found it to be easier to use
- How did you end up in Hawaii?
- The ability to telecommute
- Great place to work and live
- Ruby history
- Used articles and videos to leanr Ruby
- Doing remote work
- And much, much more!
- Ruby on Rails
- ShakaCode GitHub
- Justin’s GitHub