RRU 022: RxJS and redux-observable with Tracy Lee, Jay Phelps, and Ben Lesh
- Nader Dabit
- Sia Karamalegos Special Guests: Tracy Lee, Jay Phelps, and Ben Lesh
In this episode, the React Round Up panelists talk to Tracy Lee, Jay Phelps, and Ben Lesh about RxJS and redux-observable. Tracy, Jay, and Ben are the RxJS ThisDot Media group and where they do support contracts for RxJS, staff augmentation, developer relations, and put on events. They talk about what observables are and what they are trying to solve, the most common use cases for getting started with observables, and what Promises and Async/Await are. They also touch on what they like most about RxJS, how versatile it is, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Tracy, Jay, and Ben intro
- What is an observable?
- What problems are observables trying to solve?
- Learn observables
- Making everything functional in the library
- Means of encapsulating values you want pushed at you later on
- Downside to observables
- Little bit of a learning curve
- Most common uses for getting started with observables
- Can Promises and Async/Await be mixed with observables?
- What do Promises and Async/Await allow you to do?
- Defer function
- Await values coming in from observables
- What do you like about RxJS?
- Allows you to work with all different languages
- RxJS is very versatile
- “Rx all the things”
- What inspired you to write Redux observable?
- RxJS docs
- And much, much more!
- RxJS docs
- Tracy’s GitHub
- Ben’s Medium
- Ben’s GitHub
- Jay’s GitHub
- RxJS GitHub