021 RR REST Done Right with Steve Klabnik
- What is REST?
- Architectural style for building systems
- Fielding's REST Paper
- Uniform Interface
- Code on Demand
- HTML yields a larger payload than a binary protocol
- Stateless enables scaling because with all required information in the request it can go to any server prepared to handle it.
- Cookie-based sessions lean more toward stateless
- The PUT HTTP verb is misconstrued by Rails
- PUT does not mean "edit" it's an "upsert" (create or update)
- PUT is idempotent
- POST is more generic and non-idempotent
- Powerful Caching
- You are supposed to PUT the entire resource rather than the delta.