02:37 - Dave Thomas Introduction
04:17 - How Dave Got Started in Programming
06:34 - Tools and Constraints
- “An Enthusiast’s Problem”?
- Is the focus on tools a form of cargo culting?
- Leadism Over Chosen Technologies and Its’ Effect on Innovation
- Switching Tools and Making Excuses
19:29 - Limerence
- Love and Limerence: The Experience of Being in Love by Dorothy Tennov
- Irrational Interest and Defensiveness
28:54 - Ruby = Happiness: Does it Hurt?
31:00 - Tools and Falling in Love with Tools
- Fear of Falling Behind; Fear of Irrelevancy
- Different Tools for Different Contexts
35:08 - When Do You Learn? When Do You Train? (Not Falling Behind)
38:01 - Choosing Similar Tools and Technologies vs Choosing Different Tools and Technologies
- Gulp => Grunt => Browserify Example
- Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware by Andy Hunt
43:36 - Relationships and Identities
46:08 - Looking Forward vs Looking Back (Knowing Your History)
- Resources, Curriculum:
- Communicating Sequential Processes (CSP) Brainstorming Example
01:01:48 - Is the rampant use of social media hindering the learning of big ideas?
- Self-Curation = Key
01:08:15 - How You Learn a Language / Decide You Like a Language
- Sudoku Solver
- Markdown Parser