Panel: Charles Max Wood
Guest: Corey Haines
This week on My Ruby Story, Charles talks to Corey Haines. Corey first got into programming because when his father shifted over into programming in the late 70’s, that meant that there was always a computer in the house when he was growing up. He grew up playing games on his father’s computer, and from there gained interest in code and programming. He talks about his love for Ruby and Rails as well as his proudest contributions to the Ruby community, such as the different communities of learning that he has impacted over the years.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- How did you first get introduced into programming?
- TRS 80 and WordStar
- C and C++
- Getting a job as a web developer
- Microsoft IAS
- Visual Basic and C#
- Java to Ruby
- How do you become a good mentor?
- Background in Math and English
- Was it hard to get back to programming?
- Excel and VBA in Hungary
- Index files
- The importance of learning from others
- Not having a CS degree didn’t hold him back
- Programming as a creative outlet
- How did you get into Ruby?
- Switching over to Ruby and Rails
- Really sticks to Rails and Ruby now
- Learn how to cash
- What are the highlights of your Ruby career?
- And much, much more!
- Food Smoker
- Keto diet