RR 335: Collaborative and Effective Work Environment with David Richards
- Published on:
- November 8, 2017
Charles Max Wood
In this episode, the Ruby Rogues speak with David Richards. David has been a software developer for the last couple of decades and develops most of his software with Ruby. Currently, David is building fin-tech products for companies.
David is on Ruby Rogues to talk about the process of collaborative work, developer turnover, effective work, and personally connecting with your work. Also, the differences in being older and more experienced developer in today’s world. Lastly, David and the panel discuss the overall effectiveness of a developer in the company and among his/her peers.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Developer turnover
- Work overload
- Doing something that matter in your job
- Finding yourself and passion for a job
- Being an emotional developer
- Generational expectations of your job
- The definition of work has changed!
- Knowledge worker
- Being an older and experience
- Working with new developers, and finding developers with experience
- Doing the brown-bag lunch
- Hiring and the kinds of things you want them to deliver
- Power, pleasure, and meaning in a job vs. job title.
- and much much more.
- Getting back into Coding
- Gems – CarrierWav, Fog, MiniMagic
- VS code
- Chad Whitaker – GradaPay