Charles Max Wood
In this episode, the Ruby Rogues speak with a return guest, Ben Orenstein. Ben gives an update on leaving the company he worked for ThoughtBot, to pursue entrepreneurial aspirations. He most recent work is a call Refactoring Rails. Ben speaks about the work that went into creating this course and working with Rail on this type of platform. Ben dives into the course features such as testing practices, coding practices, code quality, and much more.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- What makes Rail development slow to a crawl?
- Active record callbacks
- Slow tests
- Testing best practices
- Who will this course benefit?
- Coding practices
- As an advance dev. It is still good to get another perspective
- Keeping the configuration up to date.
- Working in teams – Code quality and quantity
- Leaving ThoughtBot
- Surrendering relationship after leaving the job
- Solo entrepreneurship – is this work?
- Working in confidence
- Working on Elm
- Refactoring old version of rails
- Refactoring code
- Dev. Ops team
- Technical debt
- 30 Day Code Quality Challenge
- and much much more.
- Course – How To Find A Job
- Battery Powered Soldering Iron