Charles Max Wood
Special Guests: Sebastian Sogamoso
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panel discusses failures with Sebastian Sogamoso. Sebastian is a software developer of 6 years, and working with Ruby for the last 5 years, and before worked with Java and PHP. He is currently living in Panama City, but grew up in Colombia. He now works for CookPad and organizes a Ruby conference in Colombia. Sebastian stresses the fact that everyone fails no matter what, and if you take responsibility and learn from your failures, you can more on to become a better programmer and developer because of it.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Ruby, Java, and PHP
- Failure stories
- Personal failure stories in software projects
- Public failure stories in technology companies
- Failure from a personal perspective
- I am the worst developer ever?
- Will I get fired?
- Will this ever be over?
- Getting peer support
- Will I have to carry with the weight of this failure for my entire career?
- Taking time off to decompress
- Failure from a company perspective
- The customer support side
- The Public Relationships side
- The engineering side
- Blameless postmortems (don’t do guilt blame)
- Root cause analysis
- Fix the code, but most importantly the processes
- Gaining confidence back
- Mental health
- Why sharing our failures can help
- Impostor syndrome
- And much, much more!
- Costco Glasses