- Charles Max Wood
- David Richards
- Dave Kimura
Special Guests: Luca Guidi
In this episode of Ruby Rogues, the panelists talk to Luca Guidi about Ruby elapsed time. Luca works remotely for DNSimple and is most well known in the Ruby community for his open source projects, such as Hanami. They talk about NTP, time drifts, and the pros and cons to using a monoatomic clock. They also touch on the importance of being exposed to different languages in order to be a well-rounded developer.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Luca intro
- His elapsed time blog post
- Why he wrote the blog post
- What is NTP?
- NTP = Network Time Protocol
- The importance of keeping your computer time in sync with an external NTP server
- Time drifts
- World clock and monatomic clock
- The blindness around time
- Building a system around time
- Working on time and attendance
- The things you don’t think about are what you take for granted
- How did you come about finding this conclusion?
- Go Computer Language
- Being exposed to different languages
- Ruby is flexible and high-level
- The dangers of coming to Ruby as their first language
- And much, much more!
- DevChat.tv YouTube
- Elapsed Time Blog Post
- Go Language
- Luca’s GitHub