RC 3 – Finding a mentor
- Published on:
- December 30, 2009
One of the things that has helped me the most in learning to program well is having a good mentor. I didn’t necessarily choose mine, but I’ve had some excellent mentors. Here’s what made them great for me.
- They had been where I was at.
- They were at where I wanted to be.
What they did that was so powerful.
- They explained topics and details when I needed to apply them.
- They didn’t solve my problems for me.
- They encouraged me to explore the areas I needed to learn about.
- They provided structure for the environment I was learning in.
- They provided an example of where I wanted to be.
Where do we find them?
- Users’ Groups
- Online Communities
- We find their code
- We contribute to their code
- We use their code