- Charles Max Wood
- Erik Hanchett
- Joe Eames
In this episode, the Views on Vue panel talks about Charles’ new course on how to Get a Coder Job. A lot of people come to Charles asking him how to get a coder job, especially as new developers, and he created this course in order to help them find jobs. They talk about how the panelists got their own first coder jobs, the difference between being self-taught and getting a CS degree, and the indicator that makes the biggest difference in getting a first job. They also touch on the importance of knowing how to interview, having a desire and passion for development, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- A lot of people ask him how to find a coder job
- Get a Coder Job
- What is in the course?
- How did you get your first developer jobs?
- Erik gives advice about How to Get a Developer Job on his YouTube Channel
- Going the traditional route (CS degree) VS self-taught route
- Being self-taught is more common now
- You don’t need a CS degree to get a developer job
- Getting a CS degree is the most sure way to get into the industry
- Using boot camps
- The skillset you learn in a professional CS degree
- The indicator that makes the most difference is who you know and how many people you know
- The benefits of getting a degree
- Using the alumni network, professors, and counselors to get connections
- Knowing how to interview
- Different type of students in boot camps
- Dedication and desire to do this job matters
- There are a lot of Jr. developers entering the field right now
- Getting the right opportunities
- The different options you have to be trained
- And much, much more!